Thursday, April 29, 2010

Out, Damned Spot!


That's my lovely liver in photo #1 and photo #2 shows my doc reviewing my full-body PET scan. He rightly says he sometimes "hates his job."


Well, my five-month vacation away from Cancerland is over--and then some. I'm just back from Houston, and yesterday found out that there has been some disease progression in my bones, but more importantly, migration to my liver. Fortunately (hah!) it is just one spot.
I meet with my "Austin genius" on Tuesday (it's lovely to have more than one). Most likely I'll return to Taxol, as that worked so beautifully, quickly, and without nausea last fall. The plan has been to "rechallenge" with more Taxol when the time came. However, this is a "visceral" vs. bone metastasis. I don't think this changes the drug, but theoretically it could.
Please take note that I am using my ladylike English-major language to describe all this, but inside I am cursing like a sailor. I had mentally prepared for this news but there's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. As usual, my Research Department husband is on the case and getting ready to chow his way through the Internet, as a couple of trial things have come into the discussion. The kids, bless them, are taking this in stride.
Good thing I've got three wigs. Oh, man, isn't it disgusting that I can always find a positive within the oobleck. Pollyanna does what she has to do to get by! I do have MUCH to be thankful for, including all of you who read this.
Speaking of life, am planning a weekend with just my girls to see "Wicked" when it comes to Dallas in June, plus retail therapy. Caroline's escaping uniforms after eight years and needs clothes for high school. (Excuses, excuses!) Then, it's back to Dallas in August with Henry to see our beloved, beautiful, precious Red Sox play the Texas Rangers.
Kisses to all!
Sally the Tough Nut

5 comments:

  1. Dear Sally - this is makes me want to scream! Oh, no, damit! what do I say? How do I offer encouragment? What would make you feel better? What can make it all go away??? I am without words, but I am full of prayers and wishes and positive thoughts and concern.

    You'll love Wicked - it's brilliant and funny and affirming. Something excellent to look forward to!
    Love, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,
    Your news and your suffering is my heartache! It sounds like it's time for you to go back to the battlefield. I am cheering you on and giving thanksgiving for you. You are not alone. We are all here for you in any way we can serve.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cursing like a sailor, too. And praying twice as hard. Thanks for letting us know... my guess would be that was a difficult post to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't want to read this, but I have seen so much in the last years the progress that has taken place w/ bone and liver it's amazing. Your in good hands for they have come a long way! Your in my thought's as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bon Knee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally -

    Thoughts and best wishes with you and your family. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this again, but I'm certain that you will overcome it with as much grace, determination and wit as you did the first time. Please let me know what I can do to be of assistance. Katie has gone "veg," too, so I would be honored to again take my place in the cooking line, as I have gained some "veggie" knowledge.

    Much, much, much love to you and yours,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete